Advanced Player Development Scheme
Inspired by the Krishnans and the Amritarajs, several youngsters have taken to tennis in Chennai. TNTA has drawn up a program aimed at developing talent to international standards. This special program called APDS has four main components.
- Identification of talent.
- Development of talent through regular coaching with national and international exposure.
- Development of physical fitness and mental toughness to face International competition.
- Exposure of select players to National and International tournaments.
The objective of Advanced Player Development Scheme is to provide direction and support to the most talented players in the state in the age groups of 14 to 18. The goal is to make some of them world class.
The program was inaugurated in April 2000. This program has three major components.
- Potential players in Tamil Nadu are selected on merit by an Expert committee.
- The selected players are provided with equipment and clothing kits.
- A tournament schedule is chartered out that includes both national and international level tournaments for the players and provides complete financial support for it. Players having achieved a certain level in their own age groups are encouraged to challenge the next level of play.
- Coaching camps are scheduled in coordination with the player’s coaches. Tennis coaching, training, tournaments, and equipments are always selected economically. They emphasize on reaping individual benefit from all kinds of opportunities that have been provided with.
- Assessments of the player’s progress are made on an annual basis.
- TNTA will make efforts to structure a good tournament schedule for the players taking into account factors such as weather conditions, education requirements, financial feasibility, etc. .
- These tournaments will be carried out with the assistance of clubs, coaching academies, schools and colleges.
- The office is provided with good IT equipment that helps track the performance of all promising young players in the state.
- TNTA along with the support of the Government of Tamil Nadu will attempt to increase tennis facilities in the state.